If you own business property, you have to protect it from the many things that can cause damage. One such issue is that of vandalism which can create a host of other problems if it happens to your building. Vandalism is the intentional destruction or damage of property by someone and it is an act that carries legal consequences in every state. As a property owner, it is important to know the impact of vandalism and how to protect your business against vandals. Additionally, an insurance attorney Rhode Island can help you with all aspects of keeping your business safe.
How Vandalism Hurts Business Property
When vandals choose to destroy property, they may do so for a number of reasons including to express anger, certain beliefs or political ideas, or to express gang affiliation. Despite the reason, it still leaves property damaged and creates unnecessary issues for the owner. These can range from a decrease in property value, decrease in business income, a less desirable business image, or an increase in business insurance.
A property damage attorney will suggest that you take steps to protect your business which can include:
- Installing cameras and having signs posted that they are there.
- Installing bright lighting so that it is clear that the property is being monitored.
- Getting break-resistant glass.
- Keeping the outside area clean so that it is clear that the building is in use.
- Getting fences or shrubs that will make it difficult for vandals to get close to the building.
- Reporting the incident to the authorities.
In addition to these steps, it is important to contact Cranston RI property damage lawyers who can advise you of your rights and what to do if your property has been vandalized. Furthermore an attorney will represent you in front of the insurance company when you need to file a claim for the damage that has been caused.
Let Attorney Richard Palumbo help you with your property damage needs by scheduling a consultation.